- Tax Law
- Personal Tax Planning
- Corporate Tax Planning
- Cross Border Services
- Tax Litigation
- Estate Planning
I am an associate in the firm’s tax law group. My practice includes assisting businesses and individuals with a broad range of tax issues, including personal and corporate tax planning, cross border services and estate planning, as well as tax dispute resolution and tax litigation.
Prior to joining Shea Nerland LLP, I worked in the tax group at a global accounting firm where I provided cross-border tax services to multinational corporations in a variety of industries. Prior to that, I articled at a boutique tax law firm where I resolved tax issues for individuals, high net-worth families and owner-operated businesses.
I have completed the Canadian Bar Association’s Tax Law for Lawyers and the Canadian Petroleum Tax Society’s Oil & Gas Taxation Course.
- University of Western Ontario, 2013, Juris Doctor
- University of Calgary, 2010, Bachelor of Commerce (Finance with distinction)
- University of Calgary, 2010, Bachelor of Arts (Economics with distinction)
Call to the Bar
- 2015, Law Society of Alberta
Memberships and Affiliations
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Canadian Bar Association (Taxation Specialists, Taxation Non-Specialists and Commodity Tax, Customs and Trade sections)
- Member, Canadian Tax Foundation
- Member, Canadian Petroleum Tax Society
- Member, Calgary Bar Association
Publication and Presentations
Co-author, “Hybrid Sales”. Canadian Tax Highlights, vol. 25 no. 5 (Canadian Tax Foundation), May 2017 (If you are a Canadian Tax Foundation member, please click here to view this article.)
“Transfer-Pricing Penalty Update”. Canadian Tax Focus, vol. 7 no. 2 (Canadian Tax Foundation), May 2017
Proposed changes to Income Tax Act spark conversation on succession planning 'problem' - February 17, 2017 (TheLawyerDaily.ca)
"Fairmont: SCC Raises Hurdle for Rectification", Canadian Tax Focus, vol. 7 no. 1 (Canadian Tax Foundation), February 2017.
"Reorganization Following Arm’s-Length Purchase Found Abusive", Canadian Tax Focus, vol. 6 no. 4 (Canadian Tax Foundation), November 2016
"Transfer-Pricing Penalties Now at Issue", Canadian Tax Focus, vol. 6 no. 3 (Canadian Tax Foundation), August 2016
Co-Presented "Selected Cross-Border Issues of Interest for Canadian Investing Abroad", Canadian Bar Association (Alberta), Tax Non-Specialists Group, May 2016.
- Tax Dispute Resolution: Monthly Review
- Finance Revisions to Income Sprinkling Proposals Not Likely to Limit the Risk of Increased Tax Disputes
- Liberals Bow to Public Pressure on Tax Changes
- Beware of Transfer Pricing Penalties
- Flow-Through Shares
- Private Companies & Hybrid Transactions
- View all Insights by Rami Pandher