Our Team

Andrew Wong

Associate
Photo of Andrew Wong

My practice focuses on corporate matters, mergers and acquisitions, and corporate finance and securities. I act for a number of private and public companies and investment funds and assist clients with corporate finance relating to oil and gas projects, asset and share transactions, listing applications, reorganizations and recapitalizations. I also act for numerous companies with operations in the cannabis industry.

Education

  • University of Alberta, 2012, Juris Doctor
  • University of Alberta, 2011, Master of Business Administration
  • University of Alberta, 2007, Bachelor of Science

Call to the Bar

  • 2013, Law Society of Alberta

Representative Work

  • Structuring and financing Compass Cannabis Clinics, a medicinal cannabis consultation company with plans to become a recreational cannabis retailer within Canada.
  • Seed and follow-on equity financings, including an offering memorandum financing, for CannaTest Photonics Ltd., a marketing and technology company in the Canadian cannabis industry.
  • Stream Asset Financial in the funding of a new C$500M fund, focused on structuring long-tenured credit and equity investments in midstream, energy infrastructure and oil & gas assets.
  • Seed and follow-on equity financings for a licensed producer applicant under Canada's Access to Cannabis for Medical Purposes Regulations.
  • PetroChina International Investment Company Limited, directly and indirectly through its subsidiary Phoenix Energy Holdings Limited, in its C$1.9B acquisition of a 60% working interest in Athabasca Oil Corp.'s MacKay River and Dover oil sands projects, and its subsequent acquisitions of the remaining 40% interest in the MacKay River project for C$680M and the remaining 40% interest in the Dover project for approximately C$1.2B.
  • Altura Energy Inc. (formerly Northern Spirit Resources Inc.) in connection with its reorganization and investment agreement for (i) a non-brokered private placement for proceeds of approximately C$25M (ii) the appointment of a new management team and (iii) a rights offering to current holders of common shares.
  • A major Canadian financial institution and the syndicate of underwriters in the initial public offering for Acasta Enterprises Inc., a special purpose acquisition vehicle, for aggregate gross proceeds of C$417.7M.
  • AltaGas Ltd., in its 2015 issuances of C$300M in senior unsecured medium-term notes, C$300M in common shares and C$200M in cumulative redeemable 5-year preferred shares.
  • The underwriters in connection with an offering of C$125M aggregate principal amount of senior unsecured notes by Perpetual Energy Inc.
  • Renergy Petroleum (Canada) Co., Ltd., an affiliate of Changiang Investment Group Co., Ltd. in its acquisition of certain assets from and joint venture with Sunshine Oilsands Ltd. involving an initial aggregate capital commitment of up to C$250M.

Memberships and Affiliations

  • Member, Law Society of Alberta
  • Member, Canadian Bar Association
  • Member, Calgary Bar Association

Recent Media

Next steps for Canada's budding marijuana industry up to provinces - May 10, 2017 (This article originally appeared on TheLawyerDaily.ca published by LexisNexis Canada Inc.) 

Photo of Andrew Wong

Where there is music, I will be dancing.

Insights

  • BC Securities Commission Provides Guidance
  • The Importance of Working Capital to any Deal
  • A Regulated Competitive Market for Marijuana
  • Marijuana in Canada – Federal Regulatory System