Trusts - Best Practices in the New Estate Planning Paradigm
Trusts is a common term you often hear when people speak about estate planning. Trusts however can be complicated. To help the public better understand some of the basic issues surrounding Trusts, Dennis L. Nerland, QC, the leader of our tax and estate planning group, shared some of his wisdom and expertise during a recent podcast produced by Caregiving Matters for their educational “Estate Planning Project”.
During the podcast (taped telephone interview) Dennis addresses the following questions:
- What is a trust?
- What are the benefits of a trust and why are they commonly used?
- What are some examples of today’s common uses of trusts?
- What is the most important consideration in establishing a trust?
- What is the most common mistake advisors & clients make in designing & operating Trusts?
- What are the generally accepted practices in the current trust-scape?
- Why a new trust-scape?
- What leading edge practices do you expect to see adapted over the next 10 years as the new trust-scape develops?
- What is the new highest bar for trustees and beneficiaries?
- What are the best practices for trustees / beneficiaries meetings?
To listen to the podcast, please click here.